St. Lawrence’s Church in Macau

R. de São Lourenco, Macau

St. Lawrence’s Church in Macau

Originally constructed by the Jesuits in the mid-16th century, this is one of the three oldest churches in Macau. Additions to the structure and reinforcements in 1846 have given it the appearance seen today. It is located on the southern coastline of Macau overlooking the sea, and families of Portuguese sailors used to gather on the front steps of the church to pray and wait for their return, hence why it was given its name: the Feng Shun Tang (Hall of Soothing Winds). The neighborhood where you will find the church was once fairly wealthy explaining the building’s scale and wealth of architectural treatment. It is considered a neoclassical structure, with subtle Baroque inspirations to its architectural design.

 

 


By AbasaaOwn work, Public Domain, Hosted on Wikipedia

Address: Rua de São Lourenço (access from Rua Da Imprensa Nacional)
Opening hours: 7 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Bus routes nearby: 9, 16, 18, 28B

 

Visited 399 times, 1 Visits today

Add a Review

Rate this by clicking a star below:

 

Related Listings