Sir Robert Ho Tung Library
The Sir Robert Ho Tung Library is a public library in Macau. Located in St. Augustine’s Square, it is in the Historic Center of Macau. The Library is found within a mansion that has a foundation of historical, cultural and architectural value. The Mansion was owned by famous business tycoon Sir Robert Ho Tung from Hong Kong and has seen many changes in its use since its original founding.
Address: No. 3 Santo Agostinho Square
Opening hours: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. (Monday to Saturday); 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. (Sunday)
Bus routes nearby:3, 3X, 4, 6A, 8A, 18A, 19, 26A, 33, N1A
History of Sir Robert Ho Tung Library
The building was constructed before 1894 and was owned by Dona Carolina Cunha. Later on, Hong Kong businessman Sir Rober Ho Tung purchased the mansion in 1918 as a retreat and lived there between 1941 and 1945. He died in 1955 and the building was given to the Government for conversion to a public library as in accordance with his living will.
The library was officially opened in 1958 to the general public. A new building was constructed near the rear garden of the mansion in 2005, making it the largest public library in Macau.
Architecture of Sir Robert Ho Tung Library
This building was owned by Sir Robert Ho Tung who purchased it in 1918. The colonial edifice, featuring a dome, an arcaded facade, Ionic columns and Chinese-style gardens, was given a modern extension by architect Joy Choi Tin Tin in recent times. The new four-storey structure in glass and steel has Piranesi-inspired bridges connecting to the old house and a glass roof straddling the transitional space.
Visited 550 times, 2 Visits today