Na Tcha Temple
The Na Tcha Temple was originally constructed in 1888 in dedication to the worship of the Taoist deity Na Tcha. Na Tcha is sometimes revered as the child god of war. It is believed that the temple was built to put an end to the plague that was ravaging Macau at the time. Na Tcha Temple is located behind the Ruins of St. Paul’s, remains of a principal Jesuit church in the region and is also right next to a segment of the Old City Walls, thus serving as a prime example of the multiculturalism of the city. It also represents an aspect of the religious freedoms of Macau as a Portuguese colony, having allowed both cathedrals and Chinese folk religions to practice within its borders.
Address: No. 6 Calçada de S. Paulo (next to Ruins of St. Paul’s)
Opening hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Bus routes nearby: 3, 3X, 4, 6A, 8A, 18A, 19, 26A, 33, N1A
Architecture of the Na Tcha Temple
This small traditional Chinese temple is simple in design. It bears a single chamber, the building itself measuring just 8.4 meters long and 4.51 meters wide. The entrance of the temple holds a porch measuring 5 meters in depth. The building is gray with few ornaments or decorations, save for a few paintings on the walls under the porch entrance. The temple’s roof, rising five meters is of the traditional Yingshan style, and true to traditional Chinese architecture, the Na Tcha Temple has protective ceramic animal figures on the ridges of it’s roof.
Visited 489 times, 1 Visits today