Lin Fung Temple
(Temple of Lotus)
Constructed in 1592, the Temple of the Lotus or Lin Fung Temple has a fine facade of intricate clay bas-relief carved in the 19th century. This carving depicts historical and mythological figures relevant to Macau and the temple. Stone Lions guard the entrance. Inside is a hall with a statue of Tin Hau on the altar, flanked by the guardian generals. Beyond is a courtyard decorated with a frieze of writhing dragons, a lotus filled pond and a fine iron brazier. The main hall is dedicated to Kun Iam, whose statue occupies a quite detailed and elaborate altar in his dedication. Beside the altar there is a shrine to Kan Tai. The temple’s ceiling is a particularly good example of the black beams and exposed white tile construction.
Lin Fung temple is historically famous for being the place where for centuries, Chinese Mandarins from Guangdong Province would stay when they came to Macau. The most renowned visitor was Commissioner Lin Zexu, who spent most of September 3rd 1839 in Macau. He is honored with a six-foot granite statue and a new museum in the temple courtyard.
Address: Avenida do Almirante Lacerda
Opening hours: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Bus routes nearby: 1A, 8, 8A, 10, 28B, 28BX, N1B
Visited 545 times, 1 Visits today