The Holy House of Mercy:
The Holy House of Mercy in Macau is a historic white building in Senado Square. Established as a branch of the Santa Casa da Misericordia, it was constructed in 1569 by the orders of the Bishop of Macau. The Bishop played a strong role in creating the Senate of the Portuguese administration early in Macau’s history. This place is a museum for tourists and also a place still in active use offering social services to the needy.
It served as a medical clinic and several other social welfare structures in early Macau. It later acted as an orphanage and refuge for widows of sailors lost at sea. Even today it serves as a vital institution to the community offering a range of social-services such as a home for the elderly, a rehabilitation center for the blind, and a pre-school education center taught in both Chinese and Portuguese. There is also a Museum here, and a Members Club which opened in January 2001, located next to the entrance to the main building. This is both a social club for the Brothers of the Fraternity of the house, but also for members of the Chinese community, and includes a bar and serves lunch.
Address: Senado Square
Opening hours (Museum): 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.; 2:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. (closed on Mondays and public holidays)
Admission Fee (Museum): MOP5; students and elderly people (over 65 years old): free.
Bus routes nearby: 3, 3X, 4, 6A, 8A, 18A, 19, 26A, 33, N1A
Visited 537 times, 1 Visits today