The fortress was built between 1622 and 1638 after an unsuccessful attempt by the Netherlands to capture Macau from the Portuguese. Inside of the fortress you’ll find the Guia Chapel, initially established by Clarist nuns, who resided at the site before establishing the Convent of St. Clare. The chapel’s is adorned with elaborate fresco paintings depicting representations of both Chinese and Western themes, displaying motifs of religions and mythological inspiration that are a perfect example of Macau multiculturalism throughout history. Another structure of the Guia Fortress is the Guia Lighthouse, dating back to 1865, it also stands within the perimeter of the fortress and is the first modern lighthouse on the Chinese coast. Guia Fortress, along with the chapel and lighthouse are symbols of Macau’s maritime, militaristic, and missionary historical value.
Fortress: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Chapel: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., no admission after 5:30 p.m. (no photographs allowed)
*Lighthouse: not open to the public*
Bus routes nearby: 2, 2A, 6A, 12, 17, 18, 18A, 19, 22, 23, 25, 25X, 32
Visited 531 times, 1 Visits today