Dom Pedro V Theatre
The Dom Pedro V theatre is found at the Largo de Santo Agostinha, St. Lawrence Parish, in Macau. It is one of the first western-style architectural theaters in China. The theater is a landmark of the region and remains a venue for significant public events and celebrations to this day.
Apart from its use as a theater it features a ballroom, a study room, and now a billiards room. It has hosted the Italian Opera Madama Butterfly’s premiere in Asia. It was also once used as a refugee shelter during World War II.
It has undergone several reconstructions throughout history. For almost two decades it was left unused, due to structural corrosion by termites before finally being reopened in 1993 after large scale renovations, and in 2005 it was designated a site of the Historic Center of Macau.
Address: Santo Agostinho Square
Opening hours: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. (Closed on Tuesdays; open on public holidays)
Bus routes nearby: 3, 3X, 4, 6A, 8A, 18A, 19, 26A, 33, N1A
Architecture of Dom Pedro V Theatre
The Dom Pedro V Theater was constructed in 1860 by the local Portuguese colonists to commemorate their king Peter V and is one of the first western styled theaters in China. This neoclassical theater incorporates a portico front on a rectilinear plane. It’s current facade was added to the construction in 1873. The building is 41.5 meters long and 22 meters wide. It was once a regular meeting place for both the Portuguese and Macanese people of Macau.
Visited 502 times, 1 Visits today